PEOPLE LIKE WHAT WE DO
‘Thanks again for this week. So much fun. What a great vibe. Compliments to all the staff. They are so friendly and professional.’ September 2022 — Arjen Lubach
‘I love working with two inspiring owners. When I pitch ideas, they usually say yes and I have the freedom to execute them.’ — Cherish Becker, Head of Sales and Events at Boom Chicago
‘If you don’t turn down the volume, I’m calling the police’ — Bitchy Neighbor
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Comedy is at the center of what we do. Comedians are funny people to work with and humor is part of our DNA. Life is better when you laugh! We mount our own Boom Chicago shows and host visiting comedians. We also program external performers, events, our annual comedy festival, parties, classes and cool things. The owners are the same for 30 years and are still active in the place and inspiring to us all.
We are looking for people with ideas. The principle of improvisation is ‘yes and’ and we believe that. Boom Chicago is the place where bartenders take improv classes and run a nightclub. Where a new way of increasing sales can be invented, refined and tried in a week.
We are always looking to raise our standards and run the venue with excellent service, motivated staff and a profitable bottom line. You need to lead by example and be behind the bar yourself, because what sort of leader wouldn’t?
NOW LET’S GET INTO THE TASKS BY FUNCTION:
Daily operations and organizational effectiveness:
- Runs the nights/days, the team and the sales.
- Delivers excellent customer experience according to the strategy the company defined.
- Plans, staffs and oversees special events with a different schedule.
- Represents the Horeca department at operations meetings.
- Help the owners to sleep better.
Horeca sales and logistics:
- Focuses on how to increase sales and drink per capita/visitors on a daily basis and sets clear goals (SMART) for the team.
- Comes up with ideas and plans for new customers, connections and events in cooperation with the sales and marketing department.
- Never preside over any stupid ‘Dutch service moments.’ Understand why we say, ‘I’ll be right with you,’ instead of pretending not to see them.
- Hates bad service in other places.
- Stock management.
- Reports drink sales, staffing costs and other financial information.
- Build on a sales and business awareness culture among the staff.
- Sell an extra round of drinks, duh!
- Records stock monthly and focus on keeping stock costs down.
- Threads the staffing needle so we are neither over or understaffed
- Makes an investment plan.
Organizational standards, effectiveness and success
- Be responsible for operations, the team and the sales
- Work with the bar manager(s) to deliver an excellent customer experience.
- During busy moments, keep things running smoothly, help the team to keep working and respond to customers and things that come up.
- Know what is going on.
- Make sure the front of house has the equipment and facilities they need to deliver the standards and service.
- Makes the staffing master plan.
- When do we do what tasks?
- What is open and what is close
- Who else should join the team (dishwasher, pantry, barback)
- When do we send people home?
- Ideally, give people set nights so we are not a the mercy of people giving their availability on Linda (when you can’t make it you find a replacement)
F&B sales and logistics:
- Focus on how to increase sales and drink per capita/visitors on a daily basis and set clear goals for the team.
- Come up with ideas and plans for new customers, connections and events in cooperation with the sales and marketing department.
- Demonstrate what we mean by great service. Understand why we say, ‘I’ll be right with you,’ instead of turning our back to people at the bar. Ensure that the team always scans the room when walking through.
- Hire new staff members.
- Work with the bar manager to train staff with Boom Chicago’s DNA, work mentality and sales culture.
- Hold regular performance reviews.
- Create and implement rewards and incentives, in line with long-term plans; Set up training to inspire and motivate the staff.
- Make your team laugh!
Together with our Sales & Event Manager, Artistic Director, Marketing Manager and the
owners you will form the Executive Leadership Team and shape the future of Boom Chicago.
We are always looking to raise our standards and run the venue with excellent service, motivated staff and a profitable bottom line. You need to lead by example which means being present during busy times.
If you are a sales-driven, service-minded leader with a track record in the F&B industry then we would love to hear from you! Email the Interim Operations Manager Shima Zeroual, [email protected] to apply.